Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Beware: Sort of Spoilers. Nothing too  bad but I don't want to be the one to ruin a book for anyone. 


I was expecting this book to be amazing. Normally I don't pick up books that seem to be all the hype, it took me like three years to start reading Harry Potter, two to start Twilight, and quite awhile before I picked this book up. I have never really thought about why books that are talked about constantly and instant hits turn me off, but unfortunately they do. I got sick of Amazon recommending this book to me, every one talking about it, and every time I look at top selling books it being right there. The final straw was my best friend recommending it to me, she told me her roommate said it was one of the best books she had ever read, so of course now I had to get it. I felt like the book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo literally slapped me in the face until I sat down and read it.

My first thought after Day #2 of reading this book, was "seriously people, what is so special about this book?" I ended up looking at reviews to see if others had the same response and most said that the first 50 pages were boring but it picks up after that. Those reviews were lies, the first 300 pages were boring. Yes, eventually the story picks up. Yes, the ending is somewhat surprising especially because the real mystery isn't the one you think you are solving, but...it wasn't anything special. On a five star scale I give it a three, it wasn't awful but it wasn't amazing.

Something I did find interesting was even though I wasn't completely impressed with the book, I went out and got the other two in the series. I am not really sure why I did this, especially because I finished this book in January and they are still sitting on my shelf (and one is actually lent out right now.) But there was something, I am not sure exactly what it is that intrigued me. I have also heard that the second is better than the first and so on. Hopefully it gets better, if it starts off any worse then it will be a waste of the money I spent to purchase it.

No comments:

Post a Comment