I have decided that because I am doing so much reading, and sometimes my life doesn't seem to be interesting enough to talk about. I will sometimes review the books I have been reading. This blog really is just to keep me somewhat entertained when I feel that I have something to say.
First off...I have always enjoyed reading. As a child instead of staying up late at night watching endless hours of television, I would go to bed and then continue to read, sometimes it would even get me in trouble. But, when I went off to college my amount of time dedicated to reading for pleasure began to take a nose dive. I was talking to my dear friend Rachael and also my mother about this once, I think that I didn't read as much for pleasure during my college years because even when you are not doing homework or attending classes your mind is still focusing on what you should be doing. And when you decide to take a break you want to do something that is absolutely mind-blowingly fun (sporting events, sorority events, etc.) or something completely mundane. Something that takes absolutely no brain power at all, like watching television.
As much as reading in enjoyable, it takes effort. For me reading an entire book is an accomplishment, because it means I took the time out of my (previously) busy life to sit down and work out a book. As much as reading has always been easy for me and I have always loved talking about what I have been reading it still takes more effort than many of the other things I can spend my time doing. Something that has always been weird to my family, is I set page goals for the day. I will wake up and be like today I am reading 50 pages (sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.) This is probably due to the fact that I am a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to some things (to do list, short term goals, etc) and also due to the fact that I am still a pretty slow reader. It will astonishes me how my mom can read like 100+ pages an hour. I am closer to 40 maybe 50.
Anyways, all of this rambling does have a point. I think I am going to start reviewing some of the books I read. If anyone is actually reading this, and you have read the book please respond, I love knowing what others think about them. In high school a group of friends would go to Jazzy Bagels to discuss Harry Potter books after they came out and I absolutely loved it. I am also interested in joining a book club or possibly creating my own, because I just enjoy talking about books that much.
Thanks for reading!
We should start a book club, or discussion. I'm not nearly as fast a reader as you though! :-)
ReplyDeleteI don't actually read that fast, I just have a lot of time to read these days, because honestly, I don't have much else to do, and reading is cheap.
ReplyDelete