Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gradutation Frustrations...

While growing up, you are asked the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" It can change every five minutes and no one will even think twice because the question is all about hopes and dreams. When you are almost 22 years of age, a recent college graduate, that question has become as commonly asked as "How are you doing today?" and you know what, I have no answer. I attempted to work with a college career counselor during my last term of college to find out which jobs would best suit my interests and skills. We came up with a few options, working in Sports in the event planning or marketing sectors, becoming an event planner (weddings, brunches, parties, etc.), or going into Public Relations. Why didn't I think about this before I chose what to major in. My degrees are in Sociology and Liberal Studies (History & Political Science) these qualify me for jobs in.....nothing. Maybe I could become a Historian, oh wait that means more school, I could be come a teacher or professor, oops that requires more school as well, or go into Sociology research, again..more school. I don't want to go to school anymore. I am ready to start my life, figure out what I am going to do, and begin to stabilize. But is doesn't seem like that is going to happen. 


My current tally is 29 different jobs applied for. Out of these 29 resumes sent, applications filled, and cover letters created, I have received 4 call backs, and only two interviews. I am beginning to be extremely discouraged. Not only do I have no where to look and no experience, but I have no clue what I want to do. 


It is hard for me to talk to my parents about my search because they just want me to get a job, one is more understanding than the other, but neither or them really ever struggled to find a job. My best friend already has a job lined up because she started working for an awesome company in high school and has remained and employee and all of my college friends are still in school (and still have quite a bit to go.) I decided to backtrack today and re-apply for the job I had in high school even though, honestly, I don't want to work there, I was sick of the job 6 years ago and I seriously doubt that this time will be any better. 


Tomorrow is a new day, I have puppy class which I am looking forward to, my favorite NHL team plays, hoping to keep them from elimination and I will have a fresh set of new jobs to apply for. Here is to tomorrow being better than today. 


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment